
Senator Christopher “Bong” Go is calling on the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) and the Department of Health (DOH) to find ways to settle the estimated outstanding PhP 6.7 billion in Health Emergency Allowance (HEA) claims of qualified healthcare workers, stressing that these payments are long overdue and mandated by law.
Speaking at the groundbreaking ceremony of the National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI) Outpatient Services Building in Quezon City on February 19, Senator Go underscored the urgency of resolving the issue, emphasizing that healthcare workers, who served as the country’s frontline defenders during the pandemic, must receive what is rightfully theirs.
“Nagkaroon na po ako ng 13 hearings sa Senado at palaging napaguusapan ang Health Emergency Allowances. Sulit ang ating pangungulit dahil na-release na po last year ‘yung PhP 27 billion para sa Health Emergency Allowances ng ating mga health workers,” he noted.
He thanked concerned agencies for the release of previous HEA allocations but reiterated that a significant amount remains unpaid.
“Hindi po ako titigil hangga’t hindi nababayaran ang lahat nang dapat mabayaran na HEA… At ngayon po, may appeals pa daw na PhP 6.7 billion. Dapat mabayaran what is due to our qualified health workers!” he added.
With the unresolved amount still pending and with no programmed appropriations this year for its payment, Go once again urged the government health and finance officials to act swiftly in accordance with existing laws to ensure that these obligations are settled.
“I’m appealing again to DBM and to the Department of Health. Services rendered po ito, pinagpaguran po ng mga health workers natin,” he emphasized. “Hero sila ng pandemya. Utang na loob po natin sa kanila ang ating buhay ngayon.”
For Senator Go, ensuring full payment of HEA is not just a financial and legal matter but a moral obligation.
“Hindi natin mararating ito kung hindi po sa ating health workers. Dapat po mabayaran ‘yan,” he stressed.
As Chairperson of the Senate Committee on Health, he emphasized that addressing these unpaid allowances should take precedence over other programs, as they compensate healthcare workers for services they have already rendered.
The HEA, mandated under Republic Act No. 11712 or the Public Health Emergency Benefits and Allowances for Health Care Workers Act, provides financial compensation to healthcare workers in both public and private sectors who served during a public health emergency, such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
Senator Go, as one of the law’s authors and co-sponsors, has repeatedly pushed for its proper implementation, ensuring that eligible beneficiaries receive their due benefits.
Despite the official lifting of the public health emergency in 2023, a backlog of claims remains unresolved, affecting thousands of frontliners.
Senator Go revealed that DOH informed him that they are discussing the matter with DBM in order to find solutions and sources of funding within the fiscal year to settle appeals and unpaid claims of HEA payments.
Given that the 2025 national budget does not include an allocation for the remaining HEA payments, Senator Go is urging both DBM and DOH to explore all possible legal options to ensure that healthcare workers receive what is due them.
“Kaya nakikiusap po muli ako,” he said. “I’m appealing po muli sa DBM at sa DOH na mabayaran po ito—PhP 6.7 billion.”
He also invited healthcare workers to voice their concerns, emphasizing that his committee remains open to them.
“You have my committee as an avenue if you want to speak,” he said. “Magsalita kayo, kahit kayo nasa likod, kung gusto n’yo magsalita sa committee ko, invited kayo doon.”
“Ako naman, handang tumulong sa abot ng aking makakaya para mahanapan ng paraan ito,” he said. “Kung may kakulangan sa pondo, dapat nating pag-usapan kung paano ito maisasama sa budget.”
For Senator Go, the priority is clear:
“Ang importante, bayaran natin ang what is due to our healthcare workers.”